Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Best-Ever Creamy Tuna Casserole

I know, I know, there is an everlasting stigma against tuna casserole. It's the kind of food I envision straight from a 1950's kitchen alongside liver and onions. But this tuna casserole is one I CRAVE. I don't make it to rotate food storage or because I feel obligated to honor my grandmother's legacy.

I make it because it's yummy.

And I really think it could make a believer out of anyone. Best of all, it's low-fat and low-guilt.

Best-Ever Creamy Tuna Casserole
Source: Taste of Home


Ingredients:
5 cups uncooked whole-wheat egg noodles
1 can (10-3/4 ounces) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
1 cup (8 ounces) fat-free sour cream (I usually use low-fat)
2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup milk (almond or soy milk also work)
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cans (5 ounces each) light water-packed tuna, drained and flaked
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
1/4 cup finely chopped onion (I have also substituted 1 T. dried minced onion)

Topping:
1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
1 tablespoon butter, melted

Directions:

Cook noodles according to package directions.

Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the soup, sour cream, cheese, milk and salt. Stir in the tuna, peas, and onion. Drain noodles; add to soup mixture.

Transfer to a 9x13 baking dish coated with cooking spray. Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly and topping is slightly browned. 
Yield: 6 servings.


No comments:

Post a Comment