Monday, April 23, 2012

Zucchini Latkes

I started craving this kind of recipe first when I saw something like it on Pinterest, but I didn't quite like the recipe. They reminded me of something my Korean friends used to make, which they called Korean pancake--similar to potato pancakes, but with zucchini or carrots instead. So I searched around and found this beauty of a recipe, and made a few modifications a la Camber. 

YUM! These are delicious and quick and cheap, especially if zucchini is on sale or your neighbors are trying to get rid of it from their garden. I loved them so much I made them twice, two days in a row. My husband did not get very many of them.


Zucchini Latkes
Source: Taste of Home



Ingredients
2 medium zucchini, shredded (about 3 cups)
  2 medium carrots, peeled and shredded (about 1-1 1/2 cups)
1 teaspoon salt, divided
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 medium onion, grated or 2-3 green onions, chopped
4 T. whole wheat flour (more if needed)
1/8 teaspoon pepper
Oil for frying
Dipping sauce (Recipe below) OR sour cream
  Chopped green onions or scallions for garnish, optional

Directions
In a large bowl, toss zucchini and 1/2 teaspoon salt; let stand for 10 minutes. Squeeze zucchini dry. Stir in the eggs, onion, flour, pepper and remaining salt. Add additional flour as needed if mixture is too runny.

In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Drop batter by tablespoonfuls into oil; press lightly to flatten. Fry for 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Serve with dipping sauce (below) or sour cream if desired. 
Yield: 16 latkes.



Dipping Sauce:

  • 2 T soy sauce
  • 2 T rice vinegar (not seasoned)
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil

No comments:

Post a Comment