Wednesday, February 22, 2012

No-meat taco filling

I've tried a few different kinds of meatless tacos, some of which I've posted on this blog in the past. But I wanted something that felt more like traditional tacos. I've tried chickpeas, and those suckers fall right out of the shell! Refried beans are too...sticky? 

Finally I hit on red lentils--they soften up and get almost mushy, but not as mushy as refried beans, and have I think less strong lentil flavor than green lentils, although you can certainly use those as well. Anyway, I loved these! I recommend using the homemade taco seasoning, but if the ingredient list overwhelms you, feel free to use a mix. 

Enjoy eating something cheap, low-fat, high-fiber, nutritious, and soooo edible!

Delicious Meatless Tacos




Ingredients:
1 small onion, chopped
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup red lentils, rinsed (you can also use green, just cook for longer)
2 1/2 cups water
1 T. soy sauce
2 tsp. lime juice (or lemon)
2-3 T. taco seasoning OR seasoning blend below
Salt & Pepper
Hot Sauce (Tapatio, Tabasco, Sriracha, Louisiana-style, whatever you've got)

Instructions:
In a medium saucepan, saute onion in nonstick spray or a thin layer of water until translucent. Add remaining ingredients except salt, pepper, and hot sauce, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cover, boiling until water is absorbed and lentils are soft--about 20-25 minutes for red lentils, and 35-45 minutes for green lentils. 

Add salt & pepper to taste (I made the homemade taco seasoning, which is pretty salty, so I didn't add extra salt or pepper), and add hot sauce to taste.

Serve in toasted taco shells with tomatoes, salsa, cilantro, lettuce, and cheese if desired.

Taco seasoning blend:
1 T. chili powder
1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
3/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/8 tsp. cayenne powder
1/4 tsp. oregano

No comments:

Post a Comment